According to Tobias Eder from Seventimes Media, good online marketers know their CPM, CTR, CPA, and how many users are on their shop or website and who will convert within the next hour – at any time of the day or night. They know every single functionality of their individual advertising platforms meticulously, but still have too little connection to the target group and no idea who will ultimately see their advertising.
To make a realistic decision, it is necessary to look at the entire process of developing a successful online campaign, says Tobias Eder, urging to find answers to the following questions:
Step 1: Basic research
- Who do you want to sell your product to?
- What are the characteristics of these people?
- What is their everyday life like?
- What problems and needs does this group of people have? Can you help to meet their needs?
- In which situation does the target group feel the problems the most?
- Is it possible to approach them in one of these situations? Possibly online?
- Which platforms could be suitable to reach them best? With what kind of offer?
- What does it take to get the attention of the target group in these situations?
- How long does the target group need to see the actual added value behind it?
- Is the desired conversion based on impulse decisions?
- Does the target group need to receive information more often before they buy?
- Does the target group think and decide more rationally or emotionally?
- What revenue does the conversion bring in the short term & long term? (Customer Lifetime Value)?
- What was the CPA / CPP (cost per action [CPA] / cost per purchase [CPP]) so far?
- What is the maximum amount that can be spent on a conversion?
Step 2: Development of a funnel
- Where do you pick up the users? (platform)
- How far do you want to take them? (conversion goal)
- How does the path in between look like?
- If necessary, adjustment or expansion of the website and shop.
Step 3: Creation of professional content
- What photos or videos do you need to complete the planned sales funnel?
- Creation of these creatives by professional content creators, whereby the budget should be relative to the conversion value.
- Use of multiple versions of images and/or videos is recommended.
Step 4: Campaign creation on the respective advertising platform
- Creation of the desired campaign structure. (cold traffic / retargeting)
- Incorporation of already created elements. (texts, photos, videos)
- Setting of the budget requirement and bid structures.
- Scheduling and activation of campaigns.
Tobias Eder emphasizes that the first step (basic research) is particularly important, otherwise everything that follows will not be implemented in a way that is appropriate for the target group and will automatically perform poorly. He points out that you could, for example, be talking to the wrong customers or developing campaigns that you personally find better but do not meet the expectations of the desired customers.
In other words, never infer from others but from yourself, and invest a good deal of your time in research to know exactly who you are defining your offer for.
By Daniela La Marca